Getting Started with Android

Android’s SDK is here. Don’t miss the videos to get tutorials and see cool demos.

23 Responses to “Getting Started with Android”

1. JPuppy says:

Congrats on Android! Looking over the SDK, I’m salivating at the thought of having such low level access to a mobile phone, and all in Java =)

2. Asd says:

Aha! I see your photos in the gallery demo! Very nice. Android is looking great; I just wish there were some devices available.

3. Augusto says:

Where’s my Graphics2D class???

4. This is a very exciting moment and a milestone in the history of mobile devices. Congratulations to all Android developers.

@Augusto:
    It seems there is no Graphics2D class in the Android API. I think you are supposed to use the Canvas class instead.

5. Augusto says:

I was being a bit sarcastic, yeah there’s no Swing/AWT but it seems there are no JavaSE or JavaME libraries present. It seems you’re supposed to use only the Android classes. I imagine this still has java.lang, but is that it?

6. Augusto says:

Never mind, seems like a good chunk of the JavaSE classes are there;

Of course no Swing/AWT at all.

7. We are all very proud of what you are working on. It seems like a very nice blend of Java SE + some cool UI packages optimized for the mobile platform. The UI in the demos looks pretty sexy, thanks to you probably :-)

8. Ranganath.S says:

hi romain,
    congrats on android initiative. one thing i would like to know is like which all mobile hadsets does it support. i mean what are the target handsets.

All the information regarding Android are available on openhandsetalliance.com and code.google.com/android.

10. Hello Romain,

Does you not planned yet to write plugin for IntelliJ IDEA? Cos, if not, i would like to take a try to write this one.

Thanks!

11. Johan Smolders says:

I’m pretty excited about the platform. Had a quick look yesterday evening and noticed some of your pictures Romain. (the one with the telescope) Did you do part of the interface. It looks very good imo.

I did not work on the UI design. I work on the UI toolkit though.

Alexey: I don’t think anyone is working on an IntelliJ plugin.

13. Augusto says:

Romain;

Now that you can talk about the project (right?). Are the UI components native peers and if so, what library are they using, or are they rendered at the Java level?

How do you feel about not using Swing, is this good, or was it absolutely necessary (issues with size of toolkit)?

The emulator is an SWT app, yet it’s not easy to see why this was needed.

14. Romain,

I wonder – is the Android UI toolkit powerful enough to write “filthy rich” style clients? Obviously, it’s not Swing… and it’s still new to everyone. Some perspective from you on the platform capability would be really valuable.

Simon, you should take a look at the SDK. But definitely yes.

16. Thanks for this Romain. Just had a quick glance through the docs… looks like nice support for gradients, alpha transparency, transforms etc etc. Good news!

17. Hi Romain,
    We already started: http://code.google.com/p/idea-android/

It still in development stage (if you know what devkit is), but i guess it can be enduser downloadable soon :)

18. Any idea of where is the bug traker for Android ?

Refactoring a package in Eclipse is not working correctly: it does not refactor the package in androidmanifest.xml.

Is there any public bug tracker?

19. Augusto says:

Romain;

I haven’t found any info on this, but the components, are they peer based ala AWT or all rendered in the Java layer (or a mix)?

Augusto, I cannot answer this question. Please ask it on code.google.com/android.

21. Hi,

As you maybe already know. We just released beta version of plugin. Here is getting started tutorial:

Here is plugin:

Thanks!

22. HeavyGod says:

Really good and really interesting post. I expect (and other readers maybe :)) new useful posts from you!
    Good luck and successes in blogging!